As you all already know, it’s super easy to make non-dairy milks using nuts – almond milk is by far the most popular. But did you know that grains and pseudograins also make beautiful plant milks as well? Oat milk, rice milk, quinoa milk, buckwheat milk – sure, you can buy some of these milks at the store, but making them at home ensures that the milk is free of any undesirable additives or sweeteners.
Did I mention it’s super easy? The process is essentially the same as it is for making nut milk:
Basic Recipe for (Pseudo)grain Milk
For 1 liter:
150 g (pseudo)grains (oats, spelt, kamut, buckwheat, quinoa, rice, etc.)
1 Liter water
- Soak (pseudo)grains overnight in a bowl of water.
- The next day, drain and discard soaking water. Blend (pseudo)grains in a blender* with a liter of fresh water for around 1–2 minutes.
- Stretch a nut milk bag or cheesecloth over a container (such as a measuring cup) and pour water-and-grain mixture through it. Some liquid will strain through the cloth, leaving behind a wet pulp.
- Carefully lift the edge of the nut milk bag and wring out as much liquid as you can from pulp mass.
- The milk is ready! Tightly sealed and stored in the fridge, it will keep for another 3–5 days.
Spice up your (pseudo)grain milk
Milk alternatives can have quite a mild taste. If you’d like, add some vanilla or cinnamon to spice things up or even a few puréed dates or prunes to sweeten.
By the way, the homemade non-dairy milks are especially good with coffee ice cubes – just brew coffee, let it cool, pour into ice cube trays and freeze for at least four hours. Add to your milk and enjoy! :-)
Happy sipping! :-)
Ich bin Hannah Frey, Gesundheitswissenschaftlerin, Bloggerin und Kochbuch- und Ernährungsratgeber-Autorin. Ich helfe dir dabei, dich auch im stressigen Alltag mit wenig Aufwand gesund zu ernähren. Ich möchte dich zu einem gesunden Leben motivieren und inspirieren. Deshalb findest du hier jede Menge schnell zubereitete, einfache und alltagstaugliche Rezepte aus natürlichen Zutaten und ohne raffinierten Zucker – aber mit 100 % Geschmack!